Thursday, June 08, 2006

This one is for my Brother Tim! Go Digital or Traditonal Scrapbooking???

While in Colorado on my "Dad's memorial weekend" with my siblings, my brother kept urging me to go digital! He was convinced that, that is where the industry is headed! Now he is a mountain man living in a small town in the mountains of Colorado and owns a thriving towing company, what would he know about my industry?

Well here is an article that blew me away, in the New York Times!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/07/technology/circuits/07scrap.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Here are some quotes!

DEVOTEES of the hobby known as scrapbooking spent an estimated $3 billion last year on patterned paper, ribbons, stamps, brads and fabrics. They also spent untold hours combining these things with family photographs to make personal albums.

Many big companies have noted the trend. Conventional scrapbookers are finding tools and materials, called embellishments, in craft stores, drug stores and camera shops. But the main action is on the digital side of the hobby, which is the fastest-growing segment of scrapbooking, attracting novices as well as the most experienced compilers.

Scrapbookers find that going digital solves several problems. For one, they no longer have to devote a room — off limits to children — to store the die cutters, scissors, metal embossers and embellishment materials.

Another advantage is that a scrapbook, stuffed with pages decorated with ribbons, eyelets and mementos, can quickly get thicker than a New York deli sandwich. The albums are hard to peruse and the creators are loath to let people handle them too much because of potential damage. A digital version, whether stored online, on a CD or printed, avoids these problems. And copies can be made in various sizes from coffee-table to souvenir booklets.


OK, so what are your thoughts on this subject!! I am still unwilling to toss my ribbons and rub ons? What about you?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm traditional. Love that I HAVE to have a whole room. Love to FEEL those ribbons and papers. LOVE to organize all of the little trinkets and doodads that we NEED for our layouts. Just not ready to give that up. It leads back to the question, is Digital really art? I've heard both sides of the story. My own opinion... art is in YOUR heart. Fun entry! Thanks for the link to the article!

Sophia

Much Ado said...

The digital stuff looks great and intriguing but I scrapbook to get away from the computer!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure I will go to my grave with ribbons and brads in one hand and my camera in the other.
Besides, I'm too Stupood to do digi.

SageHen Alleen, who is vastly annoyed at Blogger right now. :(

Sofia said...

It just isn't the same on a computer. Sure, I use photoshop to enhance my photos, but that's about it. I love working with my hands and feeling the ribbon and paper and cutting and pasting. Mouse clicking just isn't as satisfying for me as an artist. I work on a computer all day too, so it is nice to get away from it.

Unknown said...

NOT gonna do it!!!